Followers

18 January, 2010

How to be Brave

I don't want any pseudo-nationalistic person to tell me that I don't understand the value of Pakistan. I understand fully that this Pakistan is nothing without Islam. Without Islam, Pakistan has no basis.
It was narrated on the authority of Abu Huraira (May Allah be pleased with him) that Allah’s Messenger (Peace be upon him) said: “Islam began as a stranger and it will return as a stranger, so, blessed are the strangers.”

Just when I thought that things couldn't get worse, "You mean they'll adjust the routine just because you need to say your prayers! Come on", my friend's pseudo-sarcastic and pseudo-serious comment. I was amazed to see the exams routine yesterday. There was no time for Asr Salah. The Exams would last for a week and the timing's such that the Asr time would start after the paper has commenced and when the paper would conclude we'll be into the maghrib time by then. Additionally, there was no time for Juma'ah Prayers as well.
"Sir! I had a little issue with the exam's timings", I was damn sure that they must have approved that routine by mistake not taking into account the Salah timings, for this very reason I wasn't that heated because to err is to human. "Yes?", he lifted his head towards me positioning his eye-glasses. "Sir! There's no time for Asr Salah in the exam routine", I though it would shock him that what a blunder they had made. To my amazement he smiled and said, "Lots of Salah have been performed by you already, and there's a lot of age to come". I said, "Death can also come in the days of exams", I can't give up my habit of saying meaningful, straight-forward statements. He replied, "Don't worry we'll get the sin for it, we're forcing you into". How blunt and how brave, people ask me how am I so daring that I speak so openly in front of people of authority. I think, I'm not brave, it's these people who are brave, who are ready to face Allah with all their sins. I stood there, "But Salah can't be left at any cost, you should adjust the routine accordingly". The only reply he had to my firm stance was "Talk to the Exam branch, they can handle it".
I rushed to the exam branch and announced my concern. 'That! That can not be changed', he made an ultimate remark. For a moment I was in doubt whether I'm living in a Muslim state or not. Aren't we supposed to share the same concerns? Don't we all realize the plain simple thing that there's no compromise on Salah. 'You are supposed to arrange the Exam routine according to the Salah timings, there's no real problem you just have to delay the exam half an hour and there would not be any problem', I presented a simple solution. In reply he started telling me how complex the procedure is, and how many things have to be taken into account while making the routine, and so it can't be changed. 'The most important thing is to keep the most important thing, the most important thing', he was taking into account so many things but he was forgetting the most important thing.
I came back and told this to my friends. Some of them laughed, some of them smiled, some of them made sarcastic comments and even the religious ones told me that 'this is not going to happen', you have to think another way. Even on this really simple matter I was unable to find anyone who'd go with me to the administration. At the end day, I feel my self totally broken. I remember the day when I was stopped from giving the 'Dars e Quran'. I remember the day when I was made to fill a 'personal data form' just because I've got a beard. I remember the day when my friend told me that you should stop leading the prayers because the administration has a special eye on me. I remember how much pain I had to go through to introduce a Salah break for Zuhr in the Classes routine. And I remember all the modern fancy stuff that they take so much of and ordeal to organize; the movie night, the concert, the tambola, the fun-fair, and they couldn't do simple paper-work to change the exam timings. Yes! It's all a matter of preferences; it didn't really matter to them.
Why should I be proud to be a Pakistani? Isn't the very state which sells 'religious' people to America? Isn't this the very state which bombarded its own Muslim neighbor? Isn't it the very state which doubts those who are sensitive about religious affairs? Isn't it the very state where so many 'religious' people are 'lost' since so many years, never to be seen again? No one knows what sin they committed.
I don't want any religiously excited person to tell me that I've shown hypocrisy by narrating my good-deeds. These are fairly simple acts. I'm not brave, but I know what's important and what's not. I don't understand these pseudo secular people. I wasn't asking for something special. How can one miss his most important duty? And I also don't want any pseudo secular person to tell me that I should 'relax'. This 24 hours 'sweet-temper' has been taught to us by the west. There are few things on which there is simply no compromise. Be soft on the people but hard on the rules. Also, I don't want any pseudo-nationalistic person to tell me that I don't understand the value of Pakistan. I understand fully that this Pakistan is nothing without Islam. Without Islam, Pakistan has no basis.
In the end I ask for duaas, I'm planning to meet the administration again tomorrow with full preparation. May Allah bless us with guided and directed passion.

 
Author : Mohammad Awais Tahir

The author may or may not have the same views on the topic and would not like to be quoted on what has been said above. The author, however, deems nothing wrong with changing opinions, hence, he does not wish to amend/remove posts that do not resonate with his current thinking. 
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”

Send your comments and suggestions to feedback@exploringpsyche.com

Get Updates for New Post:

22 comments:

Sumaiya said...

There is absolutely NO excuse for salah.. like Allah SWT is calling us on one side and some person on the other who would we ever go to....

IN THE NAME OF ALLAH, THE BENEFICIENT THE MERCIFUL

we have to have faith.
NO ONE stands power against Allah's plan .A lot of things need to be changed here A Lot!...

and its been enough time waiting for our ship to come in, now its time to swim to it.

Muhammad Awais Tahir said...

' hum khud tarashtay hain manazil kay sang e rah
hum wo nahin hain jin ko zamana bana gaya !! '

Sumaiya said...

INSHA-ALLAH hu Ta'ala KAl aur hamesha Sach ki raah Manzil zaroor paye ge

Genious said...

Great !!

Nobody has got any right to stop you from something so important...!!!
Thats your basic right and you need to stand firm on this.... mashaALLAH.

and even if they do not 'formally' change the timings... make it sure you offer your prayer with in the 'territory'...

we indeed a dead nation now... the muslim Ummah has lost its essence, we lost the flair of Eemaan...losing a Salah is sucha ommon thing.... or rather something thats 'inn'...

Keep it high Akhi !

Dua's with ya .
InshaALLAH.

Muhammad Awais Tahir said...

JazakiLLAH Ukhte Kareema !!

Awais said...

Hmmm....a poor state of affairs once again.
Cant comment on the attitude of admn...this is the routine in all the state departments these days... All one can do is to try his/her best and leave rest to Allah...He is the All-Knowing, The Merciful.

I wish u best of luck for today..
May Allah make your ordeal easier.

Anonymous said...

assalamualaikum....

i cant say anything :'(

but...i hav decided tht im going to the administration office tommorow...in sha ALLAH,, in sha ALLAH.. :'(

same is the case wid our exam schedule :(

Anonymous said...

Assalam-u-alaikum wr wb..

Bhai i totally agree with you.. I don't know how we call ourselves Muslims? :'( The inhabitants of a so-called Muslim country :'(

Aaminah said...

ALHAMDULILLAH! SUMMA ALHAMDULILLAH!

Im really proud to hav ppl lik u in our ummah!!!!!!

Hats off to u n may Allah help u in ur stuggle. Aameen

We really need youth lik u to stand up against the nonsense goin around everywher! specially wen muslims behav lik dat!!!

ALHAMDULILLAH BROTHER!!! AWESUM WORK!!!

Bela said...

Imagine if its so hard for a Man to carry out such activities( dars-e-Quran and leading prayers) in Univeristy, how hard would it be for the ladies. There is always some one to drag ur leg, to throw ur back.

There are so many things in my life,I can relate with this article. Practical exams being scheduled in the noon, classes at the time of Zuhr Salah, Hijab-issues,etc.

Anyway, life continues regardless. Godforbid if adm doesnt allow, then one should leave the paper for 10 mins or so and offer the prayer right there in hall. One may fail to find time to attempt a question but everlasting blessing is ensured. And this may teach a good lesson to a bunch of so-called Muslim people around.

This is indeed not a hypocrisy. What is right is right and there is always a need to shout abt it. And we are shouting abt it, Call us whatever u want ~!

rasoi said...

MashaAllah may Allah give u the required strength to face the Admin.... Ameen thumma Ameen

Muhammad Awais Tahir said...

Assalam o Alaikum wr wb !!

Dear Brothers and Sisters !!

Today was my first paper. When I entered the Exam hall I saw that there was no prayer rug there. I had informed the administration several times to avoid any confusion at the last moment, but that is exactly what happened. I went to the Head Invigilator and informed him of the situation. He was a bit hesitant and he told me to take my position and he'll inform me during the exam, when the time for asr has entered.

I went to my seat, with lots of confusions. All the formulas were getting mixed, and I was so worried about the Salah. For a moment, I was totally lost, seeing how tense everyone else was, discussing the paper, and how different my tension was. I put my head on the table and shed a couple of tears.

Then I started the paper. I had two options :
1- to end the paper quickly and say the asr prayer before maghirb time starts
2- to ask the invigilator again during the paper..

The paper was pretty tough as well..AlhamduliLLAH!! The invigilator came to my himself and told me that he had done the arrangement..I went outside the hall and said my asr on the prayer rug..It was so soothing..I had forgotten that it is exam time..the cool breeze from outside and the unique experience of Salah during the Exam was awesome..many others followed..I went back and continued the exam , free of any tension..AlhamduliLLAH !!

The paper went good after that...and immidiately after that we went to the mosque for maghrib..subhanAllah I got a chance to lead the prayer..The peace we get in Qir'at during Salah is matchless..

Then I came back to hostel..I was somewhat happy that many people said their Salah during exam...but then..tears..

What has happened to us..In the time of Prophet SAW not even a single person would leave Salah..What to say of Salah..no one would leave the congregation (Jamaa't)..everyone would come to the mosque..even the hypocrites..

And today..90 percent of us don't say their prayers..Not even a single girl in the hall today said her prayer..Alas..

There is a whole lot to do...May Allah forgive us all for our follies...

THERE IS A LOT MORE TO DO !!
THERE IS A LOT MORE TO DO !!

' chume goyam musalmanam ....balarzam
keh danam...mushkilate...la ila ra..'
(iqbal)

Anonymous said...

Assalamualaikum Wr Wb

PHIR DILON KO YAAD AA JAEGA PAIGHAM E SUJOOD
PHIR JABEEN KHAK E HARAM SE ASHNA HO JAEGI
KUL JAHAN MASKHOOR HOGA JALWA E KHURSHID SE
YE CHAMAN MA'MOOR HOGA NAGHMA E TAOHEED SE
(Allama Iqbal)

in sha ALLAH,,we juz need people lyk u,we hav a long way to go...

may ALLAH accept ur efforts and may HE reward u abundantly Ameen..

jazakALLAH 4 sharing ur beautiful feelings..

Muhammad Awais Tahir said...

subhanAllah !!

Sumaiya said...

Bi'dnillah soon enough...

Subhan Allah this incident is a reminder, that each EFFORT made in the 'WAY OF ALLAH' does radiate the glory of its own Victory from the very begining till the very end.

INSHA-ALLAH we all (all those who realise) have to keep on striving

Muhammad Awais Tahir said...

SubhanAllah!!

Each EFFORT made in the 'WAY OF ALLAH' does radiate the glory of its own Victory from the very beginning till the very end

AwakEning said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AwakEning said...

Good Job :-)

Alas! Many of us even doubt the reason behind the Creation of Pakistan, may b there was some Hidden motivators other than ISLAM to get a Separate nation...


the thing is k u hv to accept the reality of Life :) Our society is not the Islamic Society we wished for .... We need Change and the courage to Fight for whats Right :-)

Anonymous said...

aoawrwb
i can only wish 4 the love above people have regarding islam in their hearts..
what i had to do have love 4 islam in my heart?
m so much bad...
n its just a guilty that comes in heart just for a moment

rasoi said...

MashaAllah may Allah give u the required strength to face the Admin.... Ameen thumma Ameen

Aaminah said...

ALHAMDULILLAH! SUMMA ALHAMDULILLAH!

Im really proud to hav ppl lik u in our ummah!!!!!!

Hats off to u n may Allah help u in ur stuggle. Aameen

We really need youth lik u to stand up against the nonsense goin around everywher! specially wen muslims behav lik dat!!!

ALHAMDULILLAH BROTHER!!! AWESUM WORK!!!

Genious said...

Great !!

Nobody has got any right to stop you from something so important...!!!
Thats your basic right and you need to stand firm on this.... mashaALLAH.

and even if they do not 'formally' change the timings... make it sure you offer your prayer with in the 'territory'...

we indeed a dead nation now... the muslim Ummah has lost its essence, we lost the flair of Eemaan...losing a Salah is sucha ommon thing.... or rather something thats 'inn'...

Keep it high Akhi !

Dua's with ya .
InshaALLAH.

Post a Comment